Thai dishes usually use a generous amount of veggies and are pretty simple to make. A lot of the meals I throw together contain many of the spices used in Thai dishes just like this one. This dish also uses two of my favorite veggies, brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Here’s some fun facts about them:
- Both are low in fat and rich in vitamins and minerals
- Brussel Sprouts are a great source of plant protein
- Brussel Sprouts are high in Vitamin C
- Brussel Sprouts have a lot of fiber which makes them a good detox veggie
- Mushrooms are also high in protein
- Mushrooms keep most of their nutrients even when cooked
Like most Thai dishes this one has balanced tastes of spicy, sweet and sour. Here’s what you’ll need:
14 Oz brussel sprouts (stemmed and halved)
8 Oz thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 cup cooked lentils
2 tbl coconut oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbl coconut sugar
3 tbl low-sodium soy sauce
juice from 1 lime
2 tsp red pepper flakes
Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
1. In a large sauce pan warm the coconut oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two.
2. Add the brussel sprouts and sauté for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms.
3. Sauté the the veggies for about five minutes together then add the soy sauce, coconut sugar, and red pepper flakes.
4. Cook a little while longer until the veggies are done cooking. Mix in the lentils and lime juice. Taste and add salt if needed.